Friday 25 May 2007

...but everywhere he is in chains

I am currently on a personal mission not to eat in chain restaurants. This is quite the sacrifice for me, particularly since I have a strong nostalgic and emotional connection to Pizza Express. And their American Hot is a timeless classic. That I’m now salivating about.

Anyway, I’ve been feeling progressively more miffed about the uniformity of restaurant choice even in London’s more interesting neighbourhoods, so I’m taking a stand and using my power in the market to fight identikit eateries. I admit it’s more of an aesthetic than an economic thing. I don’t have a problem with chains that don’t look like chains – like what used to be Conran restaurants. After all, if you run a restaurant that is popular, why shouldn’t you open another one, and another, and another, and so on, giving more people a chance to eat your nice food. And then, I grant you, you’ve got a chain. But please have the imagination to give them different names, paint them different colours, and play around a bit with the menu too.

To that end, may I recommend Great Queen Street in Covent Garden, from (many of) the people who brought you the renowned (but unreservable) Anchor and Hope. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yum. I'm keen to try that, the non-reservable nature of A&H has meant I've never eaten there despite having enjoying their random cocktails. But I'm sadden by your shunning of the Express, where else could you see Ken Clarke in kennington? Oh, that's right.. EVERYWHERE!...ftdzvkd

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ken Clarke here, reading your blog over a couple of bottles of red wine and a copy of Big Jugs Monthly. I agree with you wholeheartedly, which is why I give my very big thumbs up to Kennington Tandoori, a peerless Indian restaurant. I shall now shun Pizza Express in your honour, and that of the lovely filly who noted my ubiquity in K-Town. From now on I'll stick to the KT with my bestest pals Steve Lamacq and Keith from the Office (I never did get the fellow's name, but he's ruddy good value, he can swallow a poppadum without breaking it. That's class). Oh, in addition, vote Tory.